* This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

How to get oriented in Indonesia

For some of us, getting from point A to point B can be a challenging task. I must admit that directions are not one of my strengths, but there are times when someone points the way in such a clear and unmistakable manner that it is impossible to get lost. Last week, I had a group of very competent guides instructing me on the path I have ahead of me.

Let’s go back to where I left… I got to Lombok on a Thursday, unpacked, got sort of settled, and on Saturday I was already packing again to go to Bali for our in-country orientation. It was exciting to see all the other fellows once again, and to finally meet Dian and Ayunda, RELO Jenn’s wonderful assistant who had been part of the whole process of getting me to Indonesia.

In the morning of Sunday I called a Blue Bird taxi a couple of hours before my flight (Ibu Mira gave me the number and recommended me to use that company). The taxi was almost immediately at my door and I had to quickly swallow my breakfast and throw some stuff in my backpack before heading to the airport. The driver barely spoke English, so it was a quiet ride without any detours. The flight to Bali was pretty short, and I had a free day to explore my surroundings.

In Bali, you can position yourself in Pantai Sanur to have a clear view of the East and be able to appreciate a breathtaking sunrise; or if you prefer the sunset, then move to the West side, along Pantai Kuta, and be prepared to be swallowed by a sea of foreign tourists and international chain stores and restaurants. I was lucky to get to see both places in a week.

Sunrise at Sanur beach
We first stayed at the Sanur Paradise hotel for the international TEFLIN conference where I presented along other fellows on how to use games in the English classroom. This was my first presentation at an international conference; it went smoothly and we had good audience participation and response. I also had time to walk along Sanur beach, see a couple of sunrises, and eat lots of delicious food –maybe a little too much.

 Fellows and Counterparts at In-Country Orientation in Bali

Kecac dance in Bali
After the conference was over we moved to Kuta beach for our in-country orientation, which was an intense 3-day information session with workshop creation time and more food. The week was exhausting, but we definitely got some work done, bonded as a group, interacted with our counterparts, and there was even some time to go dancing, do some shopping, and visit a Hindu temple to observe a traditional Kecak ceremony –a group of men chanting ‘cak’ and moving their hands and feet, and then a scene from the Ramayana acted out by a group of performers.

Going back to Lombok seemed familiar already, and I was anxious to be back home and get some rest. I had started to feel a little sick the last two days in Bali, so the idea of being home was comforting. Lombok is now my home.

I’ve been back for about a week now, and I’m still waiting for my teaching schedule while getting familiar with my neighborhood, the city, the language, etc. Sometimes it’s frustrating to feel like a baby who has to learn everything from zero, but that is also part of the charm of being here. I have to remind myself that there is a different pace in this place, that I need to be patient, and that I just got here. My counterpart, Mira, has been extremely busy since we came back from Bali, so I have been trying to figure things out without her.

Eva Yulia on her scooter. She is Lombok hardcore!
A few days ago I walked over to the English Teaching department and got lost about a hundred times. When I finally got there, I couldn’t find the person I was looking for. One of the students, a girl named Eva Yulia, told me that she would help me finding this person, gave me a ride on her scooter to the rector’s office, and then took me back to my house. We exchanged numbers and ever since then she has been my caretaker, helping me with everything from buying appliances for my house to getting hot tea and flu medicine for me. She even invited me to join her and her family on the traditional celebrations or Eid. On the holiday, we rode on her scooter to a nearby village and spent a day visiting her relatives and eating tons of delicious traditional dishes. I can’t believe how generous and kind she has been to me since the minute I met her, and I already have an enormous appreciation for her and her family!


Today is Friday, and as I freak out about my schedule, lack of knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia, poor sense of direction etc., I also realize that I must breath deeply and wait. Things will fall into place. As for now, I’m going to relax and visit a nearby beach for the weekend. Maybe when I come back I’ll have a more defined plan of action and will be ready to start a new week. Inhale, exhale, calm down.

Eid celebrations with Eva and her family

3 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, Marcela!

    What fun travels! Congratulations on presenting at your first international conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was a "like" button so I could just read the entry and show our appreciation of the experience by "liking" it :)

    ReplyDelete